Up one level The Log Rover Project » Finding bits and taking stuff apart
Finding bits and taking stuff apart
Dismantling is always the easiest bit...

 The hydraulic pump (on the left) which started the whole idea, and some ex-digger spool valves picked up later on.

The hydraulic pump (on the left) which started the whole idea, and some ex-digger spool valves picked up later on.

 A rather sad and snapped Landie, picked up for some spares

A rather sad and snapped Landie, picked up for some spares

 A truck cab roof and some hydraulic rams and pipes to come in useful somewhere

A truck cab roof and some hydraulic rams and pipes to come in useful somewhere

 the very tired scrap landie just before it was retired to the scrapyard (for which we got paid 34...)

the very tired scrap landie just before it was retired to the scrapyard (for which we got paid 34...)

 The FHHK rover as purchased

The FHHK rover as purchased

 this was fhhk arriving home in march....

this was fhhk arriving home in march....

 looks better than it was

looks better than it was

 Bodged up front end of the FHHK rover

Bodged up front end of the FHHK rover

 Starting the strip down - plenty of previous owners (x9) bodging in evidence

Starting the strip down - plenty of previous owners (x9) bodging in evidence

 Front end off, and more rust problems revealed (which was not unexpected really...)

Front end off, and more rust problems revealed (which was not unexpected really...)

 With the bulkhead doorpillars so rotten, decided they'd have to be rebuilt off the vehicle - so bulkhead removed (along with doors, dash, screen, etc...)

With the bulkhead doorpillars so rotten, decided they'd have to be rebuilt off the vehicle - so bulkhead removed (along with doors, dash, screen, etc...)

 Engine is worn, gearbox is unknown (but at a guess, worn...)

Engine is worn, gearbox is unknown (but at a guess, worn...)

 Stripped down and moved out for a while to make space in the garage

Stripped down and moved out for a while to make space in the garage

 Becky testing for wear in the steering shaft upper bearing (or just playing)...

Becky testing for wear in the steering shaft upper bearing (or just playing)...

 Jack playing amongst a heap of spares

Jack playing amongst a heap of spares

 this is where we found the steel beam for the log splitter

this is where we found the steel beam for the log splitter

 picked up another capstan winch - this one was originally off a Defender - removed the baseplate to check the internal gears - all look in good condition

picked up another capstan winch - this one was originally off a Defender - removed the baseplate to check the internal gears - all look in good condition

 original makers plate still attached - shows 4000lbs pull limit

original makers plate still attached - shows 4000lbs pull limit

 shown vertically (rather than horizontally) as clamped in the vice, but you get the idea

shown vertically (rather than horizontally) as clamped in the vice, but you get the idea

 clearout of my scrap pile after the build - getting rid of all the unwanted left overs, including the kitchen sink...

clearout of my scrap pile after the build - getting rid of all the unwanted left overs, including the kitchen sink...